Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The best light in the world

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”

Rachel Carson

It’s hard to image a place more beautiful then Africa. Routine settles in and my senses numb, but on occasion I am engulfed with the sheer splendor of the land. I fell asleep on a matatu (mini bus of death) once, and awoke to the most vibrant blues, greens, and purples all in one sky; it’s infectious and overcomes you like a teargas.

On the surface Embu can appear as a mixture of noise, people and cars but after time you begin to notice the brilliant blue of the sky- a pastel blue of an Easter egg. Huge white clouds hang over the town, and as time drags on they alter into lavender then eventually to a deep royal purple. Mount Kenya can sometimes look forbidding with its black jagged edges, but the light here in Embu transforms its rigid appearance to an unfathomable shade of purple, you appreciate the power and beauty it demands.

On my bicycle I take to the road, and trace the green hills with my wheels. The golden grass sways to the humming wind, I can feel its authority; helping or hindering my safari. I often feel like I am the only person in the whole world—all this land is my own. There is also a beauty in the rhythm of life here; life is a series of routines to survive. It can, at times seem painstakingly monotonous, until you stop trying to fight it and just realize the happiness you can find in the motions. Day to day life has become simple, and I welcome the questions, the challenge, and the unknown.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie! You are so enlightening! Thanks for your blogs. I am a friend of your Mother, our class wrote you cards last week and today I hope to get them mailed. I waited to get a couple of photos of your mom and the kids developed for you. I know you will enjoy them all. When you get home, please come to Garrisonville and share with my class! God Bless you. Debbie Reep

Anonymous said...

We miss you ginnie seger :)

Unknown said...

I know this is not quite the same by comparison, but your description of you with the land is much like how I felt on my bike trip... 6-8 hours in the middle of nowhere USA completely ALONE... sometimes really lonely, but despite no people was usually the most alive I've ever felt.

BREATHE IT IN!

G. Seger said...

Mrs. Reep I received your package today! Thank you very much-- I know the kids will love the coloring books and stickers, I will post pictures next week!
Julia I miss you guys too!

Lauren, we are on the same wave length-- wish you could be with me on my rides, miss you!

aneesah said...

gin, i almost cried reading this but i didn't want to smear my new neutrogena face moisturizer cream! :) you definitely make it visually easy for me to see what you see.
hurry up and come to machakos!

MikesTrips said...

Beautifully written, Ginnie. I would love to see the expressions on your face as you sign your written words. Mike G