Saturday, March 21, 2009

On my own






















Card for Mrs. Reep's class












































I had an opportunity to attend a re-opening ceremony of a nearby Deaf school on Friday and had an amazing time. The school has a foreign sponsor and received all new buildings and funds for activities. Many people attended the event including my Deaf friend who is alum of the school. I had the opportunity to meet other alum from the school and was amazed by their stories. Many of the former students are professionals working for various organization in Nairobi, they even told me of a former student who is in the process of obtaining their P.H.D.! Seeing all these students really reaffirms the confidence I have in my students. I know how capable they are, and I hope some day they will return to St. Luke's with fond memories. With that said I know my school has a long way to go, looking at the staff and the whole atmosphere at this school. I feel a sense of optimism, there are a lot of difficulties, but I can see the opportunity for change in each of them. I also met with the school’s sponsor and tossed out some ideas for Deaf Leadership Camp, to instill pride in Deaf culture and inspire students. He seemed very interested and I will begin to get the ball rolling on that—now!

Most of these pictures are of my students except for the ones dancing (performance at the school reopening) they are Deaf dancers! The very first picture is the view from my house and the second is my neighbor Mt. Kenya. This is the last week of school and then I will be off for the month of April. I will be so sad to leave my students for a whole month I miss them if I leave for one weekend! Although I hope to come back with new and creative ideas for teach the next term.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pictures pictures pictures! What will you do during your month off? Travel? Be looking out for a little bit of love from yours truly by way of letter in da mailbox.

Unknown said...

Ahahaha I was just going through your pictures and looking at the file names you saved them as...... "buckwheatgirl"!!!!!!!!!!!! Cracked me up...

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/themassacre170/Buckwheat---Little-Rascals--C100369.jpg

MikesTrips said...

Ginnie- please show your fellow volunteers how you post photos which can be expanded to full size. Maybe they don't have the fast internet connection you have or the bandwidth?? Would love to see everyone's photos the way we can see yours. Thanks. Mike G

MikesTrips said...

We learned from Aneesha that the Embu speedwalkers walked away from the rest! (Personally... it feels like the judging panel was stacked in favor of the Machakos. Oh well, there is always next year :)). Best, Mike G

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter from Ms. Reep's Kindergarten @ Garrisonville Elementary School!