Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adapting


"We adapt our voice and phrase to the distance and character of the ear we speak to"
Ralph Waldo Emerson



Signed conversation with my students:

Student: So you flew in a plane from America?
Me: yes
Multiple Students: Were you scared?
Me: No, it’s safe.
Student: But the hippos!
Me: Sign again, did you just sign hippo?
Multiple Students: Yes, yes, hippo!
Me: Why would I be scared of a hippo on a plane?
Student : Because when your sitting on the plane, you look out the window and you fall out and a hippo eats you.
Me: Maybe I should be scared of flying!

This conversation is ten times better in sign form, because Deaf students use so much imagination, and facial expressions, their stories are just better signed!

I was once told that as a volunteer I would experience the highest highs, and the lowest lows. I couldn’t really understand what this meant until now. Some days I feel so engulfed with happiness, I think I even sleep with a smile, other days the challenges here can be overwhelming. There is the constant loneliness, the need for acceptance, and the extreme amount of patience with people. My school is quite isolated, so I do not have a “village” to integrate into. All the teacher speak English but prefer to use “mother tongue”, which is not a written language, leaving me in silence most of the time.

It is not the easiest when people are constantly seeing you as an outsider; although this concept is not a foreign one to me it was never as outwardly spoken. Even my town visits are not without screams of “mzungu” “sister, marry me” “give me money” “buy me sweets” and my favorite “ hey white”. I can feel this constant gnaw of irritation, and when I feel it begin to bubble up, I just can’t help but laugh. I’m sorry, “hey white” that is funny to me, and ultimately I know (most) of these people do not know they are annoying me, in fact they are just amused by my presence. Who knows if my I was born in Embu, Kenya and rarely saw a person with a different skin color, I too may want to yell and try to get their attention--then again maybe not, but I can see where they come from.

I think what I am realizing about my experience is not what I experience here, but rather how I choose to experience it. I could turn inward, and think every Kenyan who talks to me wants something, or I can go out there every time having hope that people are mostly good. I have to say for every time I’ve had someone ask for money, I’ve had someone show me great kindness. I try to hold onto those moments in my head when I feel so much like an outsider that I would like to run and hide! Ultimately I have to choose the person I want to be, and I want to be a person who thinks the best of people and who can laugh (instead of hiding).

This week a girl came to school, she is around 9 –years-old, she recently contracted meningitis and became Deaf. She is far from her family and friends, adapting to a whole new and scary world. She must adjust and find her “new normal”. I know eventually she will make great friends here, they will become like family, and she will be happy. I think somewhere deep inside she knows it too. At sports time, she sat alone against a tree--I walked up slowly and tried to sign how are you, but stopped when I realized she wouldn’t understand me. She looked up at me her eyes deep pools of black, tears welled in her eyes, and for some reason mine did the same, I smiled—she reached up and held my hand. I know we will be ok.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Ginnie. My eyes just did the same from reading this. That's too sweet. I really miss you. <3

Dalila said...

Is this little girl the one you told me about? You two will definitely, be okay.
Hugz,
Dalila

G. Seger said...

No, that one is a baby only 3-years-old!
Miss you too, Jason!

francineelisa said...

your writings and letters give me ups and downs too! sometimes i'm so happy that your having such a wonderful experience and sometime i'm so sad that we can be there to help you feel less lonely, but i know you will get there on your own.

MISS YOUR FACE

Anne said...

Hi Ginnie,

I haven't read in a while, but your blog is as beautiful as ever. I thought - along somewhat the same line as your dialog with the students - I had a funny conversation with Nyabol the other day when tutoring.

*my cell phone rings - I hit end*
Nyabol: Who was that?
me: Well, actually, it was a boy I went on a date with last night.
Anger: Did you kiss him?
Achan: Break up with him! You won't have time for us!
Awut: Anne, this is not good.
Nyabol: Does he have a haircut?

?????

:) Who knows where these imaginations come from?

As a coincidence, here is another Nyabol math story:
http://crazyauntcrazy.blogspot.com/2009/02/googling-blog-filler.html

Thank you for doing what you're doing!!

- Anne

MikesTrips said...

I have an interest in Kenya and have been reading Nic Dominguez's blogs for several weeks. His led me to others, and yours. Over the past two weeks I posted messages having to do with kiondos, but unless you happen to take an interest in kiondo weavers in Embu, I'll leave that alone. I am a 66 year old RPCV who served in an arid state in India 11/65-6/67 doing poultry extension work. Our group has been planning a reunion back in India for the past six months or so. I think it will actually take place in Agra 11/02-06 this year. My wife and I may stop over in Kenya (not planned but being contemplated). Anyway, what struck me from your musings are the rollercoaster emotional highs and lows one feels when living in quasi-isolated living circumstances. Your living arrangements look pretty good actually. What also strikes me is that in working with deaf kids you need to draw from deep within and to tap reserves you hope you have but are still unsure are really there. You will also be reaching down deep for inspiration in order to transfer yours to all those others. It'll leave you exhausted, I am quite sure, on just about a daily basis... until you find the walkways to those special internal and external places which give you renewed energy and inspiration. I recall feeling desperately lonely, and sad at times in the beginning, because I wasn't sure I had the stuff to make a go of it. I am offering to send you a book of poetry to help inspire you; but I am also saying to you that the interests which grab you there in your school and which help to sustain you will come from within yourself. I am sure they are there. Make everybody believe you are happy to be there, to be their friend and teacher, even if sometimes you don't believe it yourself. I wish you well in all the endeavors you undertake! Kind regards, Mike (and let me know if a book of poetry may serve a useful purpose for you!) To see "public" photos recently digitized from my India XVI Days slides and of my family go to http://picasaweb.google.com/Gannettm

Mary said...

Ginnie--
Keep on keeping on, sweetheart. You are loved and it will always be there, whether you are here or there.
Praying for you, God-daughter.

Mark said...

Great post! I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Western in 2006 and can totally empathize with what you are going through. You very elloquently summed up the experience living there. It sounds like you are in the Deaf ed program. I was wondering Enos(sp?) was still the apcd? Or if there is a new apcd? Also is Ken Puvak still the CD? If you want to email me directly you can at mstuedel at gmail.com.

Mark

G. Seger said...

I never imagined the kind of comments this post would generate. My motivation in writing this was to mainly give an accurate reflection of the struggles I sometimes face, but as a whole I am very happy, and would not wish to change anything about my life. Mike I would love a book of poetry, Mark I’ve tried to email you but it did not work my email is segeryo@gmail.com, feel free to email me. Thanks to everyone for your continue love and support.

Unknown said...

GLOVE! You're so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hippos! I will think of this story every time I fly somewhere. (Though, I will probably be sitting in the aisle seat from now on...)

MikesTrips said...

You are so perceptive, Ginnie. My wife Stell and I wish to pay you and your school a visit, hopefully in Oct/Nov. We will be either going to or returning from a reunion of India XVI in Agra, Nov 2-6. I was in Kenya several times 1984-85 but Stell has not had the opportunity. You are amazing. We'd like to visit Aneesha, Nic and Harmony, too. Mike G

MikesTrips said...

Another thought to add: my grandmother Ruth Chrisman Gannett illustrated a booked titled Hipo the Hippo about 65 years ago. Mr&Mrs Hippo (anthropomorphic?)found Baby Hippo left in a basket on their doorstep. At first Mr Hippo said "No!" and slammed his fist on the kitchen table when confronted with the idea of taking in the baby. But they adopted the baby (as I recall). Now... just imagine yourself as the Baby, adopted by fine parents (your new Kenyan friends :)) Mike G

MikesTrips said...

Ginnie- I had forgotten my earlier post and offer of a book of poetry. I am glad you accept the offer. It will be coming soon. My grandfather Lewis Gannett selected and edited in 1961 an anthology of poetry called "The Family Book of Verse"... A Rich Harvest of Poems Old and New Especially Suitable for Reading Aloud... how sad under your present circumstances. I have my copy but will search online for one to send to you. I ask in return a poem penned by you, to be signed (literally and virtually)... and which will be tucked into my copy of this book :)) Mike G