Saturday, January 3, 2009

We live in a beautiful world

“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.”

Pericles


The time has come once again to leave the familiar and venture out unto the unknown. Tomorrow I will leave Loitokitok for Nairobi; I will then meet my supervisor and head to my site, which remains nameless. I trust the Peace Corps once again to decide my fate.

I will leave Loitokitok with a heavy heart, but with many astonishing memories. Today in the market I wanted to feel the buzz of whole town--alive. I stood in the middle hearing the hum of bargaining, the back and fourth drama, the friendly greetings. I breathe in deeply the fresh breeze from Kilimanjaro, hoping I will never forget what it was like to stand here, in the middle of it all. On my walk home I greeted all my favorite neighbors and hugged them, trying desperately to memorize the contours of their smiles as they wished me luck. I approach the small red house on top of a hill, I see three familiar faces running toward me, as I run toward them. My sisters all giggle as I chase and tickle them; I hold the smallest one in my arms and toss her up into the sky. She squeals with delight as I remember, this may be the last time for it all. The sun setting in the distance and the world is showing off—the most brilliant blues and greens dance in the sky, as the sun’s rays hit the hills and plateaus reflecting bits of orange and reds, all painted across the canvas of green rolling shambas.

Change visits once again, and only demands flexibility and courage. This time, I will begin my work as a teacher and although nervous, I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude to be involved in work I truly believe in.

4 comments:

JT Seger said...

Whoa..what beautiful words. You have the soul of a poet and paint vivid pictures with your words. Some set out to make fortunes, but you seek to make memories... You're leaving Loitokitok, but it will never leave you. Cuidate hija y buena suerte en su nueva sitio. Love Dad

Dalila said...

The world is beautiful because you are in it! Your post reminds me of the stories you use to share with me of your first time in Africa. How sweet to still have a way to listen to your refreshing spirit. How exciting to find out your site!

Anne said...

Hi Ginnie!

It's Anne Kennedy! I love your blog. Lauren gave me the link a while ago but I didn't sit down and really read it until today. What a fantastic experience!

You probably saw the link that Lauren sent you in one of the comments to my blog, but here's a post from last year. My brother did a big trip in Africa and climbed Kilimanjaro.
http://crazyauntcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/05/lots-of-haps-to-catch-up-on.html

Anyway, he fell in love with the place, too.

The kids still ask about you. You've made a lasting positive impression!!

All the best,
Anne

Unknown said...

VA,

When you get your new address please post it on your blog or facebook. I have thought about you often and would like to write you.

Espen and I have talked about visiting you within the next year or so. Reunion!