Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Stars Fell

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. " Barack Obama

The mystery revealed and my site is Embu, Kenya! Technically I live right outside Embu, located in the Eastern Province of Kenya. The school is Saint Luke’s School for the Deaf—my home is within the school grounds. The school is very large, about 10 acres. Many of the classrooms are new, as well as few old classrooms made of wood with missing walls. The students are very clever and hard working; the school was ranked third amongst Deaf school in Kenya. Embu town is sizeable (compared to Loitokitok standards). It boasts 3 different “supermarkets” and the open-air market runs everyday.
The land is scorched by the sun, and it intensity has only caused despair here- many people are suffering because of the international food shortages, as well as an unproductive rainy season. The school’s own farm has produced very little, but since the school is public it receives funds from the government, which seems to be enough. The hills roll over the land and are only shadowed by the great Mount Kenya, which was once Africa’s largest mountain (The culprit: global warming. Some of it’s glaciers have melted so now my old neighbor Kilimanjaro takes that prize), but now stands as second highest mountain. The Kikuyu people believe their God Ngai lives atop the remaining jagged glaciers. They call the mountain “Kirinyaga” which I understand to mean mountain of brightness.
The Kikuyu are the most populous tribe in all of Kenya, and the area by Mount Kenya is their heartland. So far I have been given a Kikuyu name (in Kikuyu if a word starts with Gi it usually has a negative connotation explaining my name is spelled G-i-n-n-i-e gets weird looks), so now my name is Mumbi, which means “ one who creates”. I like it better then my Akamba name my home stay Mama gave me, Mwendy meaning “visitor”.
My home is quite large; I have two bedrooms, a sitting room, indoor bathroom, and kitchen. I also have electricity, I have been like a child in toy store filled with excitement every time I am able to charge something! Right now the house is quite empty except for the many creatures that populate my home--among them are ants, mosquitoes, spiders (some as large as my hand) and lizards. I painstaking try to kill all of them, although I found out that the lizards eat the rest of the bugs so I have accepted them as my ally. I spent the first day afraid to step out from under my mosquito net, but now I have perfected the art of “shoe throwing”, and I have become quite precise in my aim. I have added a collage of different pictures and cards people have sent me to my kitchen, so keep them coming! (side note my address will be the same for a few months, but that address can be used throughout my two years here). I have spoken with the head teacher and she has allowed me to use some land to start my own shamba (farm), the housemother has also agreed to help me buy a chicken, so I can have eggs. Everyone seems happy that I want to try to farm and call me a “real African”.
I have not yet started teaching, this week we are waiting for more children to arrive and having meeting to discuss whom will take each class. I was asked to teach class four KSL, and a stand-alone class on HIV/AIDS. I have a huge challenge ahead of me but I am trying to sort out creative lesson plans and activities for the school. Today I meet prominent community members, including the Chief, two Sub-Chiefs, Police Commissioner, and leaders of the Ministry of Education. I was graciously greeted, and I have high hopes for my secondary projects to support the community.
The children here are so amazing, every morning they assemble for a “parade” which includes a story from a teacher, and then a series of “songs” lead by older girls. At first they approached me with caution, but now it is as if I cannot keep track of number of taps I get from different children trying to get my attention. They also gave me a new sign name; the sign letter G at my dimple that moves back and fourth. I am trying to learn 81 new sign names, but so far I have enjoyed just playing Frisbee and chatting. I have also arranged to meet with deaf adults in Embu town. I am eager to make friends and see if I can assist with any community development activities.
At times I feel this is the most exciting time of my life, but I also believe it is the loneliest as well. Adjusting to a new environment, community and lifestyle (imagine having to live where you work!) will be challenging. Despite the hardships, I feel as if I have come alive with creativity and passion. The only matter is identifying with the positive and holding on to hope—hope that I can have confidence in my ability, hope that I can make a difference in the lives of these children, and finally hope that my shoe hits the large spider!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glove,

I'm glad you are learning that lizards are your allies. It seems this is a metaphor that sets the tone for what you're doing -- everything is a blessing in disguise.

I miss you. BUT you are with me daily: My life often leads me to ponder the question "What would Ginnie do?" And most often I venture forth, wherever and whatever that is, as I believe you would.

This post about creepy crawly housemates makes me feel wimpy for freaking out about those nasty SUPER creepy Richmond bugs. Could they be my allies, too?

No. They will always be gross.

Hope you've gotten my letter by now, and if not, look forward to it!

Much love mama.

G. Seger said...

I find it ( as I am sure many do) scary that someone is making choices based on what I would do!

What is funny is that I often think "Lauren would be awesome at my job", especially materials creation and community outreach, so maybe we are doing so cross-hemisphere vibe sharing!

Looming teacher strike might leave me with some spare time to go to Nairobi to get your letter!

Anonymous said...

You seriously killed lizards? I envy your toilet.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're settling in really well there! I'm so happy that you found something you love :)

Dalila said...

Ginnie/Mumbi,

It is great to hear you are going to be so involved within the community you live in. It is always a refreshingly sweet thing to feel so purposeful in our world.

I think the creepy crawlies are just trying to welcome you to Embu ;) Haha, but perhaps you'll gain some arm muscle from shoe throwing!

On a U.S. note it was a warmer then usual day so I decided to go to 7 Eleven and grab a slurpee. This sweetly ordinary day moment could have only been made complete w/ the Ginmister there!

Well I hope your shamba blossoms as much as I know you are.

Lots of love,
:)Dalila