Monday, November 10, 2008

And the world spins madly on

"I can't really say
Why everybody wishes they were somewhere else
But in the end, the only steps that matter
Are the ones you take all by yourself
'Cause you can't go back now
Walk on, walk on, walk on"
The Weepies


One more day. The time has finally arrived for me to pack up my life for 2 years and say goodbye--and while I feel hopelessly sad about leaving loved ones, I feel a renewed sense of self.
Africa is a place I feel most alive, its an environment in which I feel I thrive, and as sappy as it may sound it is a place that I feel connected to. Few other choices in my life have felt this right. Since my time over two years ago in Ghana as headstrong 19-year-old, I have fallen for this place, for the people, and for the person I am when I'm there. So much of who I am today has been shaped by my experiences abroad, and few compare to my time in Africa. One day left and I sit here on the cusp of the new and the old, but life would be nothing without challenge and the Peace Corps has offered me that.

Challenges-- my family and friends. I have been extremely blessed with dare I say the most caring mother in the world, who never ceases to amaze me with her love and devotion to her family. Everyday without both my parents constant support will be difficult. My friends in the past few months have shown me what true friendship is, and although I know I will be far away, I know with certainty that friendship does endure time and distance. I am preparing myself for what I am sure will be the most rewarding, lonely, independent, hopeful, peaceful, chaotic, and truthful journey of my life and all I can do at this point is just let go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm going to miss you miss new booty!! i cant wait to come visit you in africa

Julia Lord Nickle said...

Bee safe my Ginnie-Boo. We will miss you! And we are proud of you!! We look forward to reading all your updates and whatnot :-)
(I say this on behalf of Aaron and me)

Unknown said...

someone from ghana asked to be my friend on facebook..i think it was because of that nano group..haha made me think of you!! hope africa is going well :)

Unknown said...

ps its genna and i dont know why my name is showing as vtangels....haha

Kevin Baker said...

God's peace to you as you begin this new incredible, terrifying, exciting journey in life!