Friday, November 28, 2008

Loitokitok Life!

Habari Yako? Hello from Loitokitok Kenya! Loitokitok is beyond ideal. The area is located in what is known as the Rift Valley province, I am very far south, I can literally see Tanzania from my home. The ride up was on a dirt road with land as far as you can see, the Peace Corps driver joked that we were on the road to heaven because the road extends and has no end in sight!

Arriving in Loitokitok is an experience within itself, the land is Massai land and you can always see herds of cattle accompanied by a Massai warrior. Arriving in town I am greeted by Kilimanjaro, the male and female counter parts loom over the skies of the town. The beauty of this mountain is not without its counterpart to the north. The land is thick with Acacia trees, rolling hills, and clouds. Its as if you can see for days. It is the rainy season so the land has a life of its own, even the air is thick with rain. Looking to the north yu can even see where it is raining, in the distance, Millions of words could never do it justice.

My home and family, I live in a house with all females, my Mama is Dorcus and I have 3 sisters. Everyone is still very shy and I think their favorite thing to do is watch me! They enjoy writing new phrases in Kiswahili and their language Kikamba, and laugh when I mispronounces them. My house is a small farm with no electricity or running water it is located on top of many hills. Another trainee in my group lives very close to me and we walk to school together. It takes about an hour to get to school everyday, I wind through many hills and absolutely stunning trees drenched in purple flowers, along the way I am greeted or stared at, or both but I don’t really mind it now.
School has been a challenge, we had some lessons in Kiswahili so now our instructors will say something in Kiswahili and we have to respond in KSL, or sometimes we say something in English translate that to Kiswahili and then sign it as well. It is quite hard not to be overwhelmed, but with situations like this I know the hard work will pay off.
Some other challengers is the mud, I call it high heel mud because as you walk you become taller because you are carrying the earth with you! Not to mention it is slippery and I happened to fall while in town in front of everyone! People came up running saying POLAY POLAY POLAY which means sorry, I wanted to run away! Another challenge: my roommates the bats, my family laughs at me for even noticing them but it is something I am just not accustomed too. I also really want to fall into a routine, and begin to really feel at home with my family.
Everyday I am astounded with the beauty and the charm of Loitokitok .

13 comments:

Kevin Baker said...

Sounds like things are off to a great start; me alegra mucho! What address should I send you letters at?

francineelisa said...

sounds amazing! i wrote you a letter but apparently there wasn't enough postage on it cause it got sent back so you can look forward to getting it in about two months haha. MISS YOU

Mary said...

Ginnie--
Grandma, and the Columbia family came to St. L for Thanksgiving. Your dad called, they were in Boston. I hope that you had a happy day, even if it wasn't Thanksgiving in Kenya. I wonder what they would think about the Pilgrims and the Indians?

Living Color said...

Sounds like you're having an incredible experience. Keep blogging!! I definitely want to keep reading about your experience

Dalila said...

High heel mud sounds funny. And bats- of corse Ginnie would have the full on 'advanced level' Peace Corp experience! The beauty of the land sounds amazing. The ride there you mentioned makes me think of that pic from last time you were in Africa of you sitting in a car and you see the road in the background. Learning a new language- remember what you always would say? Your gaining a new soul! Thanks for keeping us updated. Look out for lots of D-mail. Love u!

JT Seger said...

So do mud high heels count as formal wear? You are in one of the most interesting places on the face of the earth, and not just because of the bats in your room. I beleive the rift valley is where the earliest known human remains have been found...no I didn't know them personally. :-) By the way, don't worry about the bats, your mother has slept in a room with an old bat for years. We had a great Thanksgiving in Boston with Alex and Heidi. Mom and I missed you horribly, but managed to eat well nonetheless. Love you and miss you. Enjoy your adventure. LOL Dad

Jim said...

Hello Ginnie,
I was excited to find this sight. My son Eric (from Vermont) also just arrived in Loitoktok, maybe you have met.

Marty Umans said...

It sounds amazing, i would have expected nothing less though. I read about the Kenyan President putting out a statement about Zimbabwe's President, and the cholera outbreak. I hope that it doesn't impact your everyday life! love love love

chris said...

have you been to mybeliz?

Unknown said...

GLOVE!
You have quite the way with words and describing what you see. Even from your emails in South America, I could almost be there. Maybe I will come visit afterall. Oh I miss you so, but I am glad you can be shared with the world :). Our babies miss you and ask about you. And their Awut Chan is very impressed you are in Kenya, and she is here in Richmond, and you have Sudan between you. Happy belated Thanksgiving! And thanks for your contact attempts, I'm not sure how to return them though? I'll get an international card!

Despite bats or mud, you will fare just fine. Godspeed mama!

LOTS and LOTS of LOVE LAUREN

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how long my correspondence will take to get to you but it sounds like you are having the greatest time!

lauren is exactly right, you have a way with words and it sounds lovely.

miss you so much!

xoxo,
miss new booty

Anonymous said...

Ginnie! This sounds AMAZING :) I hope you're doing well! I miss you tons!

Jason Ray said...

Where can I find your address to send you mail??!