Monday, September 13, 2010

100 days




100 day ( give or take) until I am done with Peace Corps service. I have taken stock on a lot of past memories and things I have written, it feels like a whole life wrapped up in 21 months. I feel as if I left for Kenya 10 years ago, so much has changed.

Behind the purple prose of this blog, are my experiences here, which literally full of dramatic highs and desperate lows. I sit here with a mere 100 days left its hard to encompass, the magnitude of it all that has happened and everything that will come.

I have started my third and last term at St. Luke's. I try to count how many pots of water I warmed for my bucket baths, how many bowls of oatmeal I've eaten, how many times I have seen the morning parade performed by class 4, how many books I've read at my desk, how many lesson plans I have prepared, how many children I have taught, how many letters I've received and written, how many chickens I've chased from my house, how many times I laughed so hard I cried, or how many times I cried so hard I had to laugh, how many times my students thanked me for teaching, how many times they've understood concepts, how many conversations I had with my neighbors,how many lessons I've learned in the silence of the evenings on my stoop, how many times I've just appreciated life. Its an eternity.

For now I'll let Christine sit on my lap, Caroline play with my hair, Patrick carry my books, Jackline practice finger spelling my name, Consolata hold my hand. 100 more times.



2 comments:

marathon hopeful said...

Hi,
Over the summer i visited St Lukes to paint the school hall as part of the Scout Association's Camp in Kenya.
I would dearly love to get in contact with the school again, is it best to write? and if so what is their address?
I have already tried searching for their address and have sent off some photos in the hope that they arrive, but could you just confirm the address please?
Many Thanks
i thought that the school and the work that they do is surperb.

G. Seger said...

The address for the school appears on the left column of this blog. The kids mostly write/read in KSL but feel free to write the teachers. Address your letter to a member of staff you met here.

Please refrain from sending items until you have confirmation from whom ever you choose to write. The school is required to pay customs fees on items sent, with funds we don't have. Ask which ever teacher you contact if they are willing to pay for items themselves before you send anything( other then letters).