Friday, February 26, 2010

For the windows in paradise

Faith and Cristine pretending to be old people.Faith and her baby this is the style that mothers carry around their children, interesting to see young minds socialization


Silas and I ( with the Kenyan serious face)

Silas' first day of secondary school!


A small photo update on like here at St. Lukes school for the Deaf! I've had an interesting past few weeks at the school and beyond. Recently we gave mid-term exams, I was asked to administer the exams for class 1, normally I teach the upper primary class 4-8 but they needed someone to fill in. The exam here are written on the board and each child is given a sheet of paper, they must copy the exam and then complete it. The exams were sometimes less then 10 questions and consisted of mostly "circle the correct answer" type question. I thought how easy this would be and that I would be done in no time--I was wrong. Most of the students didn't know how to copy and others could copy but couldn't read or understand what was happening. It was marathon day for me trying to explain each part of the exam, for others I had to copy the exam for them. I admire those who teach early education because near the end of the week I was exhausted. The end of the last day one student decided he had enough, I saw him walk out of the classroom with his test and then he ate it, I understood the feeling. Although stressful I am glad I got to spend more time with them, the cuteness factor is off the charts, but I was happy to return to my students in upper primary.

Oh what a difference a year can make! I feel like I've hit my stride this year with teaching and with the students. Last year was filled with confusion, loneliness, and adapting, this year I am able to fine tune my techniques and adjust accordingly. Not that there are not days that I am not confused and I am constantly adapting, I guess I am used to be being alone now, but Peace Corps is the best 2 year roller coaster out there, and this year the highs are more intense.

I teach classes 4-8 on HIV/AIDS and this year the kids are more receptive, instead of just nodding their heads we engage in very open discussions about HIV/AIDS, pregnancy and gender issues. Recently I have started using another volunteer's educational software program the kids love it, even a few teachers are interested in learning the programs, and teaching them as well. I am also in charge of the whole sports program now, which is sometimes daunting, but also a lot of fun. These days I hardly step off the school grounds, nearly everything I do is for the school.

I was able to break away to Nairobi recently because a few Volunteers and myself are currently organizing a behavior change communication (BCC) "create-a thon" for Deaf organizations and Volunteers. The idea is to meet and discuss gaps in behavior change materials, and figure out where we can help, whether it be creating posters, changing current ones to be more Deaf friendly, or making educational videos. I am really excited about the event, and what projects will come up after the workshop.

After the workshop another Volunteer who is Deaf came to visit my school. My school has no Deaf employees so the children barely interact with other Deaf adults. I wanted my friend to come to discuss her background, and how she completed her education. I wanted them to understand the possibility that lies ahead of them. It was also good for the teachers to see a Deaf woman who has completed her masters, and has a good job, because despite working with the Deaf many of them have never interacted with Deaf adults. The results were a bit shocking, many of the employees didn't believe that she was truly Deaf, others just stared opened- jawed at her, but the kids loved her. The teachers asked questions about Deaf culture and I think everyone learned from her visit. I also enjoyed "storying" (slang for signing together) with her into the late hours of the night. Hopefully we can continue these exchanged in the future.

I am still raising funds for Silas' education so if you are interested in donating please see the post below! I hear Silas is doing very well in school!


No comments: